We recently got the chance to travel to San Francisco to reconnect with friends old and new, hang out with some awesome clients, enjoy the warm weather, and even relax and enjoy a drink.
In Omaha, it can be easy to fall into a winter routine as we spend our days running from home-to car-to work, in order to not freeze off our rear-ends. We spend little time outside, and anyone living in the Midwest knows it’s just easier to spend the weekend at home marathoning House of Cards, rather than facing the elements to catch a concert, visit the local museum, or sit at a coffee shop and people watch. Our trip was exactly the opportunity we needed to step away from our computers, thaw out, take in a different landscape, eat way too many delicious meals, and experience San Francisco. We don’t take the opportunity to travel as often as we should, and this trip was a great reminder that doing so makes us better at design and better at running our business.
- Shared an amazing meal + ice cream with Kevin Hale from Y Combinator.
- Shared hugs, drink, and handshakes with some dear Omaha friends who now call SF home.
- Mike & Jesse bought new Chrome bags.
- We had the opportunity to meet with a friend of ours, Mike Buzzard, who toured us around the Google campus.
- Brian Singer hosted us on the Facebook campus, and we were blown away by the creative culture they have. Their design lab was legit!
- Went to Twin Peaks, visited #thatSFtree, and went to the Sutro Baths
- Discovered Uber.
- We shared some drinks with Daniel Burka, whose work we’ve admired for a long time.
- Saw lots of public urination.
- Daniel Conrad from Beep gave us a tour of his workspace and showed us a real live Beep, which was amazing.
- Met with our newest client Sam Clay who has a secret new product in the works.
- Had drinks and laughs with clients Kevin & Darya Rose.
Even just a week of experiencing the culture in SF and meeting some of our current clients re-ignited our fire and reminded us why we love startups so much. It reminded us to think even bigger for our clients and for our own brand.
This trip has also helped us solidify a few things as a company. We’ve always had a passion for startups, and this past year has brought us many great opportunities to work with a variety of great new companies. One of the greatest things is to see a team throw themselves so passionately and wholeheartedly into creating something they believe in. This year, we will be dedicating more of our time to working with startups and becoming a better and more comprehensive design resource for them.
We know that creativity is at the core of what we do, and creativity comes from inspiration. This year, we are also focusing on taking more time for ourselves. We’re focusing more on our brand, and on our development as individuals. We know that it will ultimately make us better designers, better people, and more creative as a result.